Friday 15 February 2013

Quilt Competitions

My daughter and I have been having fun this last year entering quilt competitions (more on those later).  Last night we finished 2 each and sent off the entry forms and are hoping to be invited to participate...... it's in FRANCE. how cool!

Here's the quilt ....
The Theme set was "The White Line" open to however we'd like to interpret that. This is the statement that went with this art work.

Titled A Thread of Hope.
“When the yawning maw of darkness, despair, fear and depression stretches out to consume me . . .
I reach, I grasp, I cling.
Somedays it's just a thread, almost intangible.
But if I keep hold it will broaden and lead me away – forward to peace, joy and light.
Yes, I cling to hope.”
Here is a detail shot.

 
I finally got out my baby lock felting machine that I spent a fortune on over a year ago and then chickened out on using. Love it now and will do lots with it.

Here's the technique description I sent with it.

Whole cloth painted and then quilted.
The 'dark side' is further textured with felted wools and silks in addition to various threads, netting and lace fabrics and then embellished with 'found objects'.
The light side is textured with appliqued lace, beaded lace and beaded silks, covered with felted chrystal organza and embellished with shiny, happy objects such as pearls, flowers, butterflies etc. and of course the sequined cord is attached across the work.
The work is backed with suitable cotton fabric and the edges hand stitched in coordinating threads.

Had lot's of fun and lot's of agony making it, and I'm really happy with how it expresses my theme.

Now I have to go do some house work and later I'll post the other entry which was for a textile challenge to make a 'reticule'.



No comments:

Post a Comment